Category Archives: raw snacks
If you’re looking for a treat for mother’s day. These hit the spot. Super decadent chocolatey goodness but no processed sugar or lecithin in sight! They are also vegan and Paleo friendly. I have given you the basic recipe which you can use to play around with different flavours or you could just make the almond butter cups (pictured). I have a few other variations that I’m working on, which I will add as I make sure the recipes are blog worthy. Some possibilities are raspberry coconut and cacao rocky road, walnut butter cups, pistachio and mint or just the all time favourite coconut rough! Would love to know if you try any of them or if you make up your own creations! Let me know how you go!
Basic Chocolate Recipe
Makes about 12 mini sized chocolates and 1 portion of chocolate for the other variations.
1/4 cup coconut butter
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup raw cacao
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 – 4 tbsp. coconut nectar
1. Combine raw cacao, vanilla, coconut oil and coconut nectar in a small bowl and mix to combine until no lumps. Add coconut butter and mash together with a fork until forms a paste.
2. Pour mixture into mini or medium silicon/paper cupcake moulds (or if you have them, use chocolate moulds) and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until set.
3. To serve take out of their wrappers/moulds and place on a platter. Nice with a warm chai or coffee or a glass of full bodied red wine.
Almond Butter Cups
1 portion of basic chocolate
3 tbsp. almond butter
1 tbsp. coconut oil
small pinch of Celtic sea salt
1. Divide half of the chocolate mixture between your chosen moulds. Make sure it covers the base adequately. If it is too thin the chocolate may break after it is set. Place in fridge to set.
2. In a small bowl mix almond butter coconut oil and salt together until well combined. Divide between the chocolate filled moulds, to cover the layer of chocolate. This is the middle layer that will be the filling.
2. Pour remaining chocolate mixture over the almond paste and return to the fridge for 1 hour or until set.
More Variations being tested, so watch this space!..
- Apricot and Coconut Bliss Balls (healtherella.wordpress.com)
I have to confess, I am infatuated. Yes head over heals. I just turned the corner and there they were…
At the organic expo: Loving Earth, a wonderful Melbourne based company that creates a range of scrumptious organic raw products. They seem to offer everything I was looking for in one shop! This is great for the diet but not so much for the wallet. But then hey, I have decided to spend my money on health and taste before fashion and alcohol no?
Their products cover a range of raw fooders/whole fooders ingredients such as agave nectar, raw cacao products, raw butters, raw olives, fruits nuts and seeds. Their major draw cards, however, are their range of raw snack foods and raw chocolates. These include organic raw chocolates of many delectable flavours, organic sweet coconut and cacao spread, organic activated flavoured nuts*, organic raw flavoured kale chips, organic raw kale salad sprinkles and the creme` del a creme` of muesli: Organic Activated Deluxe Bukinis. These products are not only healthy but taste delicious!
The chocolates are simply divine. They are hand made in Melbourne, I think using raw cacao, and cover a range of different flavours. My favourites are Sour Cherry and Acai Berry and Lacuma and Macca light. The inclusion of these super foods include a whole gamete of nutritional benefits.
The Kale chips are extremely moreish: crisp and crunchy to bite and taste a bit like salty chips but with much more depth of flavour. They are dehydrated at a low temperature to retain the enzymes, nutrients and minerals and flavoured with cashews, carrots, coriander and Himalayan salt. The salt is quite subtle and their is delicious creamy sweetness with a hint of spice. Unlike your packet of chips, they also provide a rich source of protein, copper, magnesium, vitamins K, C and A and antioxidants.
The deluxe bukinis is the goddess of all muesli. The base is made from activated caramelised buckwheat which is sweetened with agave nectar not sugar and then mixed with a range of delicious super foods, nuts, seeds and fruits. It provides a gluten free and high alkaline alternative to regular muesli. A delicious treat for the weekend or decadent daily breakfast. YUM!
And to top it off this company has a conscious too, supporting the restoration of native ecosystems and fair trade with the Indigenous communities they source their products from.
Sigh. Could they be more perfect?
So go to your health food store and ask for loving earth. Or visit them on line.
I am sure you will fall in love too.
*What does activated mean?
Activated nuts and seeds are easily digested and more nutritious than raw or roasted nuts. Raw nuts and seeds have enzyme inhibitors making them less easy to digest and inhibiting our ability to absorb nutrients. Activated nuts and seeds have been soaked to ensure the enzyme inhibitor found in raw seeds and nuts has been released, then dehydrated between 38-40 degC to maintain optimum nutritional value.