You can put the knife down for this recipe! All you need is a bowl, a whisk and some elbow grease. In fact, Mayonnaise is so simple and easy to make that once you’ve made it yourself you’ll wonder why you ever bought it from a shop. It only has 5 ingredients and if your careful with combining the oil into the egg yolks you’ll have a beautiful creamy mayo in no time at all. It also tastes delicious and of course has the nourishing nutrients filling fats of fresh egg yolks and olive oil and no sugar or preservatives that often come in the jars on supermarket shelves. Spread it in your favourite lettuce wrap or on some sprouted bread with tomato, use it as a dip for some vege-sticks put a dollop with some sweet potato chips or add some extra flavours and serve with some freshly baked fish. The perfect condiment for a healthy wholefood/paleo meal or snack!
2 egg yolks
260 ml olive oil (or you can use grape seed oil which will have a milder taste)
1 – 2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of celtic sea salt to taste
1. Combine the yolks and oil, using a hand whisk or blender/food processor. You need to take care with this part, so take it slowly to make sure the oil and egg yolk emulsify and do not split.
– To hand whisk:
a) Place egg yolks in a metal or glass bowl and whisk to break up.
b) Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking with the other hand. You will need to stop pouring the olive oil at times to ensure it is incorporated into the egg yolk. Make sure you whisk very fast and thoroughly so as to ensure the yolks and oil emulsify and don’t split.
– To use a blender/food processor:
a) Add yolks to the blender/processor and blend at low-speed.
b) Slowly drizzle in oil and keep blending until smooth and emulsified.
2. Once all oil is incorporated, add mustard, salt and lemon to taste. Whisk to combine and adjust seasoning as needed.
3. Store in refrigerator and use as needed.
Should keep for 10 days in an airtight container.
Make garlic aioli by adding 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Make tartare sauce by adding 2 tbsp chopped capers, 2 tbsp chopped baby cornichons, 1 chopped eschallot and 1 clove of garlic, crushed.
- 3 Delicious Recipes for Stone Age Diet Sauces (johnisfit.com)
- Alioli – Garlic Mayonnaise (spandelish.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Mackerel Salad (littlemissnihilist.wordpress.com)
- Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise & Basil Pesto (twolovesstudio.com)