Buckwheat is not actually a form of wheat or even a cereal grain! It is a fruit that is related to rhubarb and strawberries! It can be bought as kernels/groats, which if toasted or dehydrated are delicious as an oat alternative in muesli (See Loving Earth’s Deluxe Bukinis
), or it can be ground up into ‘buckwheat flour’ and then used to make a myriad of delicious gluten free, wheat free or low wheat products. It has quite a dark colour and a strong earthy flavour. I like to mix it with other flours. Today I used it to make some pancakes! I only had wheat flour to combine it with so these are not gluten free. The lower level of gluten or wheat from using the buckwheat flour does make them easier to digest for me though. It’s food for the soul again today so enjoy with a good splodging of maple syrup!
2 cups no fat yoghurt
300 ml milk
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2tblsp caster sugar
2 tbsp water
2 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries
1banana sliced and tossed in 1 tsp cinnamon and 2 tbsp of flour.
Olive oil, knob of butter for frying
1. Dry mix: Combine flours and baking powder in a bowl and whisk together.
2. Wet Mix: In a second bowl whisk together the egg, milk and 1 cup of the yoghurt.
3. Make a well in the dry mix and pour the wet mix into it, whisking to combine. Set aside.
4. Place berries, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cover with a lid and cook over low-medium heat until heated through and a syrup has formed. Take the lid off to reduce the syrup if there is too much liquid. Take off the heat and leave to the side with the lid on.
5. Drizzle some olive oil into a large saucepan and heat on medium. Pour a ladle of pancake mixture into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer pancake to a plate and keep warm (cover with foil or put in a low oven) while you cook the the rest.
6. Wipe the saucepan clean with a paper towel and heat a small amount of olive oil and a nob of butter on med-high heat. Fry the banana slices for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
7. Serve pancakes immediately. Top with a dollop of yoghurt, 2-3 pieces of banana, a spoonful of berries and a generous splodge of maple syrup.