Cooking some muffins for a fundraiser, I decided I wanted to make something yummy (for the soul) but still relatively healthy. Apples and dates in the fridge: perfect combination! I made use of the wonderful Jude Blereau’s guide to making muffins and adapted it to my ingredients, finishing them with a creamy lemon icing and candied lemon peel.
Apple and Date Muffins
2 cups all purpose wheat flour
21/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup rapadura sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
80 gm unsalted butter – melted
1/2 cup full cream milk
1/2 cup yogurt
2 apples diced into 1cm pieces
1-2 cups of dried dates diced and soaked in 2 tablespoons of water
Juice and zest of 1 lemon,
1 tub Cream Cheese
1 cup Icing Sugar
*candied lemon peel
dates for decorating
1. Pre heat oven to 180c (or 165c for fan forced) and line 6 hole muffin tins.
2.Combine flour, baking powder and sugar and whisk to combine. Then add the fruits and mix together.
3. Combine butter, milk, egg and yogurt and whisk to combine.
4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
5. Pour mixture into lined muffin tin and bake for 30 – 40 min or until golden.
6. Meanwhile beat the cream cheese with the zest and 3/4 of the icing sugar and lemon juice. Add more of the juice and icing sugar to taste if needed.
7. when muffins are cooked cool on a wire rack
8. Top cooled muffins with icing, half a date and piece of candied lemon peel.
*Candied Lemon Peel
I made my own. I don’t know if it was the correct way but it appeared to work.
All I did was dissolve 2 handfuls of sugar in a frying pan with about 2 tablespoons of sugar. Reduced it slightly and then put thin slices of lemon peel into the sugar, cooking it until it slightly caramelised and candied the lemon.